Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A job too?!!! Am I dreaming?

Today is Tuesday and David went to San Francisco for a conference about web graphics designers and I had a job interview at 10. After yesterday I had renewed faith that God was in control in a very tangible way. When I first started thinking about moving to CA I did a web search for antique repair shops in Sacramento. I love that field of work and was hoping to do it again, knowing that it was no accident I was able to work for Robert Johnson. I found Craftsman Furniture Service online and liked their website. They advertised keeping things original and quality workmanship. So, I emailed them to let them know I was moving to the area and would love to work in that field if they were ever hiring. At that point I was confident I had found the place to work and quit looking. The owner emailed me asking for more info on my experience. I replied and didn't hear back. Some time later I emailed again to see what was next and he replied that he was actually hoping I was a prospective buyer for his business. Well, that's not an option, so I talked to Robert Johnson about starting my own business. He was positive about it and I was encouraged. Later, I received an email from a Human Resources company that was helping Craftsman hire some workers. This was before Christmas. The HR lady called and we talked for over an hour and she was interested in me moving and the church I am a part of. She asked lots of questions. At the end she told me that the company was in a time of transition and there wasn't an immediate opening that she could fill with a phone interview. But there was the possibility of taking a color test once I moved to try for a finish touch up position.

So, today I drove up at 10:00 and walked in. I met the owner and the shop manager was busy. Steve gave me a tour of the shop and showed me some of the pieces they had repaired. When his shop manager was done we all three sat down to talk. The manager asked me how much experience I had and was shocked that I had just made it to town and was already looking for work. He said I came highly recommended from the HR lady and from my emails he was willing to start me today. But this is the slow time for the business. Right then Steve informed his manger that he had a stack of jobs on his desk to go over with him. So, they talked right there about Steve tutoring me at first and that I could start as soon as next week. I got to tell them about signing for a house and how I felt like I was supposed to work for them. From what I could tell, this business is built on top quality work and they have a good reputation in northern CA including being the only shop in the state certified to use shellac. Shellac is one of the finishes used very commonly on antiques. That was a huge confirmation for me. Not to mention just liking everyone I met there. Steve, the owner, even mentioned that it seemed like God was doing things here and up north where he is involved with another job opportunity. He is helping develop a water-based stripper that can be used in CA. So, I start next week on a part time basis at first. I'm sure your not surprised that I was happy with that, and expect things to work out exactly as God wants them to. So, that's the latest. This has taken two days to get done, so I will stop here. PRAISE GOD! He is making it quite obvious that He is in charge and interested in His people being gathered together, because there the blessing is given, LIFE forevermore!

Stephen

4 comments:

  1. Just read all 3 of your blog entries. God is so amazing. Praying for you all and thankful you are being taken care of by Him. Love and miss y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I know Steve Durkee! His family is old friends with my family! Small World (Big God)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all have been praying on Highlander trail for you and your family. There is none like our God is our great provision! Blessed are those whose only possession is Him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephen's blog already up? Am I dreaming? I just talked to you at noon, after you got the job, and you didn't even know HOW to make the blog!? Wow, God is moving fast in ALL areas!!
    Thanks, Stephen, for being diligent for telling us the stories. This means everyone (in the village) will know of this awesome testimony of the faithfulness and confirmation of our God! Can't wait to hear the next California chapter. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete